Have the specific title of a journal in mind? Instead of wading through a database that indexes thousands of journals, go straight to the source! This video will show you how to search the journals list for a specific journal title.
1. Go to the library website's journals list. You can access this from the homepage under Find --> Journals, Magazines & Newspapers.
2.Then search for the title of a journal and click search.
3. If the library has the journal, pay close attention to the dates each option provides access to. For example, if you want a more historic look at a topic older access dates are great, but if you want current issues look for options that say "to present."
4. Next, you'll be taken to a website where you can access the journal. You can usually browse the journal by specific issue or search across multiple issues by keyword.
5. If you want to search by keyword across multiple issues, make sure you are searching "This Journal." Many vendors provide access to several journals.
1. For journals that the library does not have electronic versions of check to see if we have a print copy - this is especially important for older editions of journals! You will need to look these up in the library catalog. (Find --> Books & Media)
2. Then search for the title of the journal.
3. Click the title of the journal you are interested in to view location and dates for the editions of the journal the library owns.
4. On the catalog's record page look for the "holdings" information to see the specific years/editions that the library has subscriptions to. Confirm that this matches the date, volume or issue that you are looking for. If not, you can request the material through Interlibrary Loan.
5. Many of our print journals are in our on-site storage facility and need to be requested - which takes about 15 minutes! To request access, scroll through the holdings to find the specific volume/date that you want, then click the "ARS Request."
6. Then fill in your name in the ARS request box and submit the request, in about 15 minutes you can head up to the Journals Desk on the 2nd floor and check out the journal for 2 days with your USU card!